In my never ending quest to make the world think that I am crazy, I have been executing a new plan. Anyone who knows me, knows that I have a tendency to fall in love with certain companies for making fantastic products. One of these companies is Klean Kanteen, they make 18/8 grade stainless steel bottles which are leaps and bounds better than any of the competition. Eventually Klean Kanteen came out with an insulated kanteen which I use every day at my house, so I decided to order one for work and perform a little test where I see which restaurants will fill it with my to go order.
A little background info. Due to having acid reflux I cut soda out of my diet and discovered the wonderful world of loose leaf tea (more on that another time). So one of my lunch requirements is often iced tea or some form of non HFCS drink. Because of this restriction there are a number of places that do not qualify for my test here, and I often only get food from them if I already have a drink in the office.
Allow me to present you with a few reasons why this is a good idea:
- You aren't wasting a plastic/paper/styrofoam cup every day
- At 20oz most places will fill it to the top while charging you for a smaller size
- Some places don't even charge me for a drink
- People tend to remember me for doing this and it tends to lead to better service when they realize I am a frequent customer
- The cup is a large portion of the cost of a drink, so most places are happy to give you a drink without it
On to the results.
The following establisments have filled or allowed me to fill the Klean Kanteen:
Smoothie Joe's Juice and Java Café
The following establishments did not allow me to fill the Klean Kanteen:
As you can see I have a fairly small sample size at this point, mostly due to the fact that many of my local restaurants don't have fresh brewed iced tea or only carry bottled drinks, so they can't really be tested here. I would be interested to hear if others have tried something similar, and I would encourage everyone to give this a try.